History of the Schools
These historical high schools have similar missions: to support and encourage the recognition of the historical significance; to promote educational programs and activities to strengthen community welfare; and to provide scholarship assistance to students who desire to further their education.
Training School (MCTS)
This was Mecklenburg County's first public high school for black children. It opened with 200 students. Mr. C. B. Haskins was the first principal. The school was put on a 2-acre lot east end of Virginia Street in South Hill, VA. This school was first accredited by the State of Virginia in 1930. A highway marker has been installed at Virginia Street east of South Mecklenburg Avenue, near 401 Meadow Street in South Hill, VA.
This private faith-based institution was started with about 25 black boys in a Sunday School setting. Tuition fees were paid by the students. Rev. John Johnson Ashenhurst was the first principal & pastor of this school. Thyne was located on a 5-acre lot in Chase City, VA (on the present grounds of the Chase City Elementary School). Thyne was first accredited by the State of Virginia in 1911. It was the first high school in Mecklenburg County to elevate its classes to a 12th grade status. A highway marker has been installed alongside Highway 47 near the Chase City Elementary School.
West End High School
The original school was built on Caroline Street in Clarksville, VA in 1934. It opened with 100 students in 1935. The first principal was Mr. Robert O. Harris. After the school burned, and later in 1953, a new school was built in Skipwith, VA (now known as Bluestone Middle School on Middle School Road). West End High School was first accredited by the State of Virginia in 1940. A highway marker has been installed alongside Highway 49 near the Middle School Intersection.
East End High School
The school was opened with an enrollment of 450 students. It served the former MCTS and all black students on the Eastern End of Mecklenburg County (Grades 8-12). The first principal was Mr. Emmett N. Taliaferro and his assistant was Mr. O. G. Walker. The school was located on state road #650, four miles south of South Hill, VA (now known as Park View Middle School, Dockery Road).istorical highway marker has been installed at the corner of Highway #1 and Dockery Road.